Where did the Tweetbot for Mac Alpha go?
As some of you may have already noticed the download link for the Tweetbot for Mac alpha no longer works. Twitter’s latest API Changes means now we have a large but finite limit on the number of user tokens we can get for Tweetbot for Mac. We’ve been working with Twitter over the last few days to try to work around this limit for the duration of the beta but have been unable to come up with a solution that was acceptable to them. Because of this we’ve decided its best for us to pull the alpha.
How does this token cap stuff work anyways?
There’s been a lot of misinformation going around about how these caps work, so now might be a good time to clear up some misconceptions.
- As of August 16th 2012 3rd party Twitter clients have a fixed number of tokens, either 100k or if they are already above 100k, 2 times the number of tokens they had on that date.
- These caps are only in place for 3rd party Twitter clients, non client applications have no such limits.
- These caps are per “application” meaning a developer can have different caps for different apps.
- If you login to the same account with the same app on multiple devices that takes a single token from the app’s pool.
- If you login to multiple accounts with the same app, you are using multiple tokens from that app pool.
- If you go on the Twitter website and navigate to Settings -> Apps and hit the “Revoke access” button you are returning one of those tokens back to the app’s pool.
- As of now, tokens don’t expire. If you log in to an application once that token is considered in use until you “Revoke access” to it.
With the above rules being in place its easy to see why continuing the public alpha/beta would be problematic. Someone might use the app, decide they don’t like it and the token would be gone forever. That being said now would probably be a good time to help 3rd party developers out and Revoke access to any clients that you no longer use.
Just to be perfectly clear, Tweetbot for Mac will still be available for sale in the near future, we are just stopping the public part of the alpha/beta testing. We wish we could continue on but we didn’t make the rules, we just have to live within them. Again sorry for the hassle and thank you very much to everyone that has provided valuable feedback during the alpha.